“Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn’t before!
Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn’t come from a store.
What if Christmas… perhaps… means a little bit more!”
– Dr Seuss (from How the Grinch Stole Christmas)
Why I chose this book quote
OK, I’m just going to come out and say it. I find all the giving and receiving of presents at this time of year a little overwhelming. I have reduced my spend over recent months, for environmental and financial reasons. Am I less happy or fulfilled? Not at all. I have discovered that stuff is not happiness. Things are not fulfilling.
Happiness, for me, comes in the forms of people, animals, and experiences.
What this book quote means to me
This quote has inspired me to think back over previous Christmases and remember the best times. Here’s what makes Christmas great for me.
- Decorating our ‘travel tree’ to remember all the amazing places we’ve visited
- A family outing on the Santa Express steam train
- Attempting to ice-skate (perhaps ‘amusing’ would be a better adjective for this one)
- The annual board game battle
- Going to the theatre (one year I ended up being part of the show, still not quite sure how that happened…)
- The family pictures being photobombed by my mum’s dog
- Taking my son to see reindeer
- Waving to the International Space Station as it flies past
- Snuggling up with my family to watch a festive movie
- Saying Happy Christmas to every single person we see during our Christmas Day walk
Here’s hoping for lots of wonderful moments like these for all of us in the days ahead.
What brings you the most happiness during the holidays?
Enjoyed this post?
You can leave a comment or…
Check out my travel mystery series, The Lost Mysteries, on Amazon / Keep up to date with my latest author insights on Twitter or Instagram / Follow this blog through my website, Facebook or LinkedIn / Find out about new releases and promotions by following me on Goodreads, AllAuthor or Bookbub.